The curriculum maps that follow are from another of our outstanding schools with the same need type and age group of pupils. These form the basis of the curriculum at Leycroft Academy.
The thematic curriculum is based around the following principles:
- Delivering high quality SEND teaching and learning, engagement, accurate assessment, planned progression and personalised approaches
- Providing a natural progression from an Early Years Foundation Learning programme, towards full participation within the National Curriculum framework, with programmes designed for and implemented at an appropriate level, taking into account the special needs of the children in the school.
- Emphasis on the importance of developing the depth of children’s learning and providing children with increased cognitive challenge, allowing them to apply the skills which they have learnt in a range of contexts.
- Promoting engagement and inclusion through accurate assessment, planned progression, personalisation and high quality teaching and learning with a consistent emphasis on encouraging and promoting independence.
- Promotion of Fundamental British Values and Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural development to prepare our children to become active participants in and contributors to the society they live in.
- Engagement with our local and wider community, involving a variety of stakeholders, including parents and carers, businesses, community groups and other professionals.
All of our Trust schools use Read Write Inc as a tool in language and writing acquisition to excellent effect and impact. Leycroft Academy also uses this tool.